Friday 27 June 2014

Friday: Faith

Contributing to Your Faith Community as a Young Mother.

It's easy to become over-scheduled as a mum especially, I found, at church. There can be some unrealistic expectations placed on young mothers. I quickly became overwhelmed and exhausted soon after becoming a Christian. I was so desperate to share my faith, to serve Jesus, that I signed up for all kinds of things at church. I was already home-educating my two young children, which was a job and a half, in itself! I'd been asked to teach in the 3-5 year old group during church and I was doing it, but not feeling quite right about it even, though I was good at it.

One Sunday morning, I left the church to go to be with this lively group of little ones, when I realised that I was sacrificing the only free hour I had in the week without my own children to be teaching and taking care of other people's children. And I was missing the sermon! What was wrong with this picture? I scaled back my responsibility and, with the help of a discussion I had with some other Christian mothers, I decided on an approach which I found very helpful for many years after that.

I was advised to only be involved in activities to which God had clearly and specifically called me. Wow! What a relief that was! It became gradually obvious to me that this is what would spare my sanity in the long run! This is such a simple concept, but it has served me well. If you think that this is a cop out and an excuse to do very little...just wait, it may not be!

God called me very clearly and specifically to begin several adventures during those early Christian mothering years, including leading an evening home group for 8-11 year olds and starting and leading two different, long-running home education groups. However, because God had called me, He also generously equipped me for these tasks. I had been patiently (mostly) listening for His call. When it came, I didn't feel overwhelmed or exhausted. I was ready to give them up when He called me to, also.


A kayaking lesson I organised for a home education group. Yes, they did go onto the water next!
 
What I had also accepted was that my primary calling was to my husband and children. This is what I urge of you too, Dear Daughter. Invest your time and love in them and, through that, God will use you to bless others. Listen for His call and He will equip you for the tasks He plans for you.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome responses and questions.