Monday 29 September 2014

Blessing Your Home

My bathroom with just a few fall decorations.

Autumn is definitely in the air here in the Northeast of the United States. The temperatures are dropping and the leaves are changing. This is one of my most favorite times of year. My only regret is that it's so fleeting. It seems once the leaves get colorful they fall to the ground and winter sets in seemingly in the blink of an eye. 

However, summer always seems to give one last hurrah. This past weekend it made itself known one more time. The temperatures were in the mid-80s. It had folks digging back out their flip-flops and shorts. On Saturday I spent the day outside at our local Apple Pumpkin Festival. The 4H club I run had a bake sale booth there to raise funds for our club. 

Keeping with the fall theme, I had gone to our local dollar store to pick up some fall-ish decorations for our booth. I decided to purchase them with my own money so that I could use them for my own house after the festival. Sunday afternoon I did just that. 

While I went around finding places to drape some fake fall leaves, I thought to myself - "I'm blessing our home." It only took me just a few minutes to put up the few decorations I had. I also moved around a couple of wall hangings as I had recently purchased one that needed a home on my wall.

The big picture (literally and figuratively) in my dining room. 

Yes, I have a wall of books. I'm a homeschooling mom and a bibliophile. And those books are only the ones for school. My personal books are on a small bookcase in another room and my poor hubby still has all of his books in totes in the basement. 


I love this painting. At the beginning of the month I spent the day shopping with my extended family. At our last store I spotted a bunch of these canvas prints but they were all framed and just a tad too pricey for my budget. I kept browsing and spied this one. It was unframed and on sale! Needless to say I snapped it up and couldn't wait to find a new place for it in my home. It fits on this wall perfectly and I absolutely love the scale of it. It is roughly three feet by two feet. 




This wonderful hand tatted name was created for us by a friend when we bought our home. It used to hang in the dining room where the new large painting resides. This is now hanging right by our front door.

Even my hubby's moose antlers had to get dressed up for the season. 

It didn't take me much time or money to dress up my house for the season. Typically the only season or holiday I decorate for is Christmas. However, this year I decided to spend some time blessing my home and changing things up a bit for fall. Will I do this next year? Who knows. Sometimes it all depends on if my children feel it's a "tradition" that needs to be kept or if it's just for my pleasure. Either reason is reason enough.

Happy Fall!


Lisa is a wife to Bob. They just began their 21st year of marriage. She is also a mom to three boys (ironic, no?). Her oldest will soon be 18 but still has one more year at home. Her middle son is 13 and her youngest is 10. She also stays busy by homeschooling her children and watching a two-year old (a boy of course) full-time as well as other assorted children as the need arises for family and friends. She is very active in her local and state homeschooling community. She is also a very avid reader, enjoys writing, loves dancing at Zumba class, and checking Facebook a little too often. Lisa strives daily to become more Christ-like. She is reminded often of the Lord's mercy and grace and is thankful that He is so gracious to extend to her on a much needed basis. She lives in Maine on her own piece of "no-where land" with her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome responses and questions.