Thursday 10 July 2014

Cajun Stew

Today I decided to share a favorite family recipe. This is not one that I made, but my Father-in-Law used to make this all the time when I first met the family. Whenever we would go to visit and especially for holidays we would request this recipe. The name is not really very descriptive of the dish and the story goes that he originally got the recipe from the TV "Cajun Chef" show, hence the name. It is not particularly spicy or Cajun though. :-) My FIL died last year and was very ill for several years before that, so it has been a long time since we have had this dish. But I always think of it when I think of family gatherings with him.

 I will transcribe it as it is found in the family cookbook.

Bud's Cajun Stew (Serves 6-8)

1. Prepare 5 or 6 stalks of celery and cut into 3 inch chunks
Place in a glass bowl one-half full of water and microwave for about 6 minutes.
2. Peal and cube 5 potatoes.
3. Cut 4 onions in fourths.
4. Cut up 8 carrots.
5. Cut up 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of sirloin tip or chuck roast into 2 inch cubes and have 4 beef marrow bones ready.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

1. Put one teaspoon of flour into each of 2 brown and serve bagss.
2. Salt and pepper the meat and veggies. (you may add 1 T Worcestershire sauce if you wish).
3. Place 1/2 of all items into each bag- include 2/3 cup of celery water in each bag.
4. Tie bags and place in flat type backing bag pan. (FIL used iron skillets) Punch holes in bag with knife.
5. Bake in oven for about 60 mins.

(FIL included that it is good with Toast. And we did tend to have Melba toast on the table along with cheese. But I really liked it with a good crusty bread.)


Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome responses and questions.