Saturday 12 July 2014

Summer Projects

During the summer, when I have more time to myself, I tend to start a new project. Often that will be learning something new, or developing skills I already have. Sometimes, it will be cleaning or organising a space in the house which has become an unhelpful mess.

I try to use my time wisely, and in order to bless my home and the people living in it or visiting it. I'm NOT a natural Domestic Goddess. In fact, I'm a pretty die-hard 70's feminist. Yet, the situation God placed me in has required me to have to take responsibility for much of the home-taming duties in our family. Much to my initial distaste. Jamie and I had planned to share this responsibility but it didn't work out well that way.

 
My very first attempt at making ricotta cheese
However, I discovered that, when I embraced my role, I came to enjoy at least parts of it. My summer projects being my favourite bits.
One summer, I knitted many cotton dishcloths!
I am lucky that, although my children barely noticed my accomplishments, my husband did. He appreciated every new skill, every beautiful thing, every tasty meal and still does.
I tried my hand at soap-making and decided it was not for me!
It's good to have a cheerleading husband like that! He's probably also glad that it's not HIM in charge of the home! Oh well. I am happy that he notices and compliments me.
Rearranging things in the garden
In Genesis 1, we see this:
   ''God created human beings;
        he created them godlike,
    Reflecting God’s nature.
        He created them male and female.
    God blessed them:
        “Prosper! Reproduce! Fill Earth! Take charge!
    Be responsible for fish in the sea and birds in the air,
        
         for every living thing that moves on the face of Earth.”

This filling the earth and taking charge of it business is pregnant with meaning. For me, managing my resources, being in charge of my home, having a creative and subduing role are all part of the mission I have at this point in my life.

Have you embraced your role at home yet, whatever that is, Dear Daughter? Is it drudgery or delight? A little of both? Could you try some new projects to keep your interest up?
 
Perhaps, when Jamie is able to retire, we may switch roles. Who knows? I bet he won't make as good lemon cordial as me though.

Mimi is a wife to Jamie, mother to two grown up children, a mother-in-law and a grandmother to a darling little grand-daughter. She home-educated her children and now teaches exam subjects to groups of home-educated children. She's a Worship Leader in her church and has a passion for helping women raise children to adulthood with a strong faith in the Lord Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome responses and questions.